The sequence in which you put on (don) and remove (doff) personal protective equipment (PPE) is key to ensuring maximum safety.
Putting on PPE
Use the following steps to don PPE:
- Apply your gown and fasten it in the back.
- Put on your mask or respirator, fitting it snug to the face and below the chin, including adjusting the flexible band to the bridge of your nose.
- Place goggles or facemask over your face and eyes, then adjust to fit.
- Apply your gloves and extend them to cover the wrist of the gown.
While wearing the PPE, remember to:
- Keep your hands away from face
- Limit surfaces touched
- Change gloves when torn or heavily contaminated
- Perform hand hygiene
Keep in mind that after use, the outside of all PPE is considered contaminated. Wash hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer immediately if your hands get contaminated during removal of PPE. In order to safely doff PPE, remove the items (gloves, goggles/faceshield, gown, then mask/respirator), as illustrated the following steps:
- Using a gloved hand, grasp the palm are of the other gloved hand and peel off the first glove.
- Hold the removed glove in the gloved hand and slide fingers of the ungloved hand under the remaining glove at the wrist and peel off the second glove over the first glove.
- Discard the gloves in a waste container.
- Remove your goggles or facemask by lifting the headband or ear pieces.
- Place goggles or facemask in a receptacle for reusable items or discard if disposable.
- To remove your gown, unfasten gown ties, ensuring that sleeves don’t contact your body when reaching for ties.
- Pull the gown away from your neck and shoulders, only touching the inside of the gown.
- Turn the gown inside out and fold or roll it into a bundle, then discard in a waste container.
- To remove your mask or respirator, grasp the bottom ties or elastics of the mask/respirator, then the ones at the top, and remove it without touching the front. Discard the mask or respirator in a waste container.
- Finally, wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer immediately after removing all PPE
Want to Roll Out this Video in Your Company?
Email me directly at email@example.com and I will send you the video file.